Saturday, November 29, 2008

You so country... or maybe not.

I've been born and raised in the South. I've lived here basically all of my life. Between Arkansas, Tennessee, and Georgia are the only places I've ever lived.
Alot of people tell me that these places (especially Ark.)are "country" to them. I guess I agree to an extent but it just depends.

So anyway I get to talking with some other people about country or "Southern" foods. After going down the list of dishes that seem to go in that category, they come to the conclusion that I'm not really a true country girl because I don't like half of what they mentioned.

So I've compiled a list of so-called traditional southern dishes that I'm just not feeling:

1. Chitlins- I've never even seen one but I've heard enough to know I don't want it.

2. Greens- I don't just despise greens but I can really do without them

3. Black Eyed Peas- the only reason I don't eat these is because when I was a kid and wathced the Jackson movie I remember one of the boys (it may have been Michael) throwing up cause he had to eat black eyed peas so I figured it must not be something I need to try and I haven't to this very day lol

4. Fried Fish- I just don't like fish period. I know it sounds silly but fish taste to "fishy" for me. Plus, I've seen the men in my family come home many a days with those nasty stinkin' fish for the women to gut and clean and it was a horrifying site. I just don't see myself eating that after seen what it looked like before getting battered up and fried.

5. Fish-n-Grits: I never even heard of eating those together until my ex would always say how good it was. Not only that but he says it's a breakfast dish. I already don't like fish, but to eat if for breakfast??? I just don't understand. lol

6. Pork Chops: The only reason I don't eat this is because it was something that no one ever cooked in my house. Maybe if I was used to it as a kid then I could have a better chance at liking it now but I'll still pass on that for now.

7. Fried Bologna/Baloney- I'm not sure if this qualifies as country but alot of people around me ate these all the time specifically when we were growing up but I just can't do it. I've tasted it and I don't like it.

8. Hot Sauce- I know hot sauce isn't really southern or country either but it gets put on alot of things that we cook around here and I just can't take it. I know people who will put it on everything, chicken, fish, bread, popcorn, chips etc. I've never been down with the hot sauce. I really don't even eat anything hot. Personally I usually don't even cook my food with seasoning because the smallest amount of some seasoning can make it too spicy for me.

9. Hog Souse- Now this is just absolutely disgusting and I don't know why people would put themselves trough such torment lol. Seriously you do know what it is you're eating right?

10. Pecan Pie- I'm just gonna round this out with the dessert. Pecan pie isn't that bad but I'm really just not a big fan of it. For one I don't like nuts (no pun intended, seriously) also I don't like the texture of the filling. The taste isn't that bad but it just feels like I'm eating gooey nuts and I can do without that feeling.

3 comments:

The Pretty Brown Girl said...

I was born and raised in DC and I like a lot of the stuff on your list. Really, just about all of it save the pork, which I just don't eat for health reasons. DC is kinda Southern though. lol.

Gia Shakur said...

Okay that whole run down sounded nasty. I don't really consider diet when asking people where they are from. But no doubt my favorite "country foods" are bbq anything, gumbo, King Snapper and sweet potato pie. eew @ chitlins

suga said...

I think thats just a list of food that Black people eat because I"m from Cali about the only thing I haven't eaten on your list is hog sauce...never heard of it. Other than that, everybody I know eats that.

honey, you dont like fish? Girl, I'd die without seafood, fried or not lol